What is FOCUS?
- a five-level upper secondary course
- exams oriented learning path for state and private school students
- a course structured to promote motivation, memory and meaning
- a unique approach to teaching and learning vocabulary
- clear and intuitive lessons allowing teachers to teach-off-the-page
- a course closely aligned to Global Scale of English learning objectives
Focus on 3ms
FOCUS methodology is built around the 3Ms – MOTIVATION, MEMORY and MEANING.
These key concepts underpin the benefits of the course for learners and signal its pedagogical effectiveness to teachers.
- topics, texts and tasks that engage students both intellectually and emotionally
- constant reference to students' life experiences and the things they aspire to
- language is brought to life through grammar animations, interactive videos and culturally relevant clips
- unique approach to vocabulary acquisition via the Word Store
- language acquisition is driven by careful recycling of vocabulary and grammar
- exam skills are reinforced by Cambridge and PTE General practice booklets
- content students want to read, listen and talk about
- every exercise is relevant to students’ lives
- frequent personalisation ensures students' engagement every step of the way
Focus on exams
FOCUS offers targeted development of exam skills. Starting from the very first level of the course students are offered
regular exposure to EXAM-TYPE TASKS and exam reference.
EXAM FOCUS SECTIONS
occur in all 4 skills lessons and include practice
of all common exam-type tasks.
include a review of grammar, vocabulary
and an integrated practice of four skills.
They have been developed to mirror
exam task styles.
for Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking
and Use of English are available at the back of the Workbook.
TEACHER’S PHOTOCOPIABLE RESOURCES
with practical support for the Speaking and Writing productive skills are also available in the exam format.
provide regular opportunities to try exam-style tasks in a low stakes test environment.
Focus on vocabulary
One of the unique features of FOCUS is its approach to learning and retention of vocabulary.
The course offers the Word Store - a vocabulary practice booklet with a wide variety of exercises and a unique method of involving learners actively in recording new words and phrases.
Focus on unit walkthrough
FOCUS offers a one page – one lesson approach with clear colour coding for
each section to help students and teachers navigate the unit.
Focus on 21st century skills
Teaching upper secondary students to use English confidently in the 21ST Century
is no longer a special feature for an ELT course - it is an essential one.
financial and economic literacy
critical thinking skills
FOCUS on assessment
The Focus Assessment Package provides a wide range of tests which can be used at different points in the course. Each level includes:
- One placement test
- Sixteen A and B Grammar Quizzes
- Eight A and B Vocabulary Quizzes
- Eight A and B Unit Tests
- Four A and B Review Tests
- One A and B End-of-year test
The tests provide regular opportunities to try exam-style tasks in a low stakes test environment.
FOCUS is a five-level upper secondary course designed to align with the learning objectives
of the Global Scale of English and Common European Framework.
Language development in FOCUS is carefully mapped to the GLOBAL SCALE OF ENGLISH (GSE). Each exercise in each unit of each level refers specifically to a Can-Do statement from the GSE adult syllabus and a specific GSE band. The GSE helps students and teachers measure exactly where they are in their learning journey, and by identifying their strengths and weaknesses, it enables them to pinpoint exactly what they need to do next.Find out more
Components for teachers for students
- full Students’ Book pages in colour, with overprinted answers
- practical teaching tips and extra resources to supplement each unit
- bundled with the Teacher’s Book
- grammar animations with additional exercises
- interactive speaking videos
- teacher’s resources
- test programme
class audio cd
- all the listening activities from the Student’s Book
- recordings for students available on english.com/focus
- offline Interactive Whiteboard Software Tool
- interactive Student’s Book activities
- audio bank
- teacher’s resources
- videos: grammar animations and interactive speaking videos
- games bank
- one page - one lesson structure with colour coded sections
- 24-page Word Store booklet with extensive vocabulary practice
- exact correlation with the Student's Book
- comprehensive exam-style practice (Cambridge ESOL)
- online learning management system
- grammar animations
- interactive speaking videos
- individual grade books
- rich assessment package
Exam Practice Booklets
- extra booklets with extensive practice for Cambridge English and PTE General exams
The animated videos which accompany the course can be used to present, consolidate and review the major grammar points from each level of the course. Each video is attractively presented and aids understanding of meaning and use better.
Interactive speaking videos
Interactive speaking videos accompany most of the speaking lessons, making them more attractive and dynamic. The goal of these videos is to help students focus on and practise functional language in everyday situations. Each video includes 3 parts:
Focus on teacher's resources
FOCUS offers a variety of resources for teachers to adapt to their teaching styles, students’ needs or extra teaching time available.
- extra photocopiable vocabulary and grammar activities
- gapped Students’ Book texts
- test yourself pairwork activities
- activities providing support for the speaking and writing tasks from the Focus Review sections
- tests and quizzes
pearson progress test
PEARSON PROGRESS TESTS, as an optional addition to FOCUS corpus, is a standardised packages of three tests that allow uniform testing and comparison of results to improve learning outcomes and accurately show learners’ progress.
Progress is scored on Global Scale of English and empirically aligned to the CEFR to accurately measure small amounts of progress within a CEFR band. The test reports overall scores and scores by skill, highlighting strengths and weaknesses to help students and teachers focus learning.Find out more
why choose Focus?
FOCUS is a great example of a course that can be TAUGHT OFF-THE-PAGE.
This means very little extra preparation is required on the part of the teacher
to make lessons MOTIVATING, MEMORABLE, MEANINGFUL AND... FUN!
FOCUS exam practice booklets
Extra booklets with extensive practice for Cambridge English and PTE General exams
Online, fully automated and institutionally administered progress test that measures student progress in English, highlights strengths and weaknesses to inform teaching.
The Pearson Test of English General is recognised globally, accepted by employers and national education authorities in many countries as evidence of a required level of English. Check how FOCUS correlates to PTE General:
A 3 level series that takes students from elementary to advanced level grammar through a unique blend of book, online and mobile resources.
Pearson English Readers
Graded readers across 13 genres and 7 levels for the fun of reading at any stage of language proficiency, Pearson English Readers offer some of the most famous films, novels and non-fiction tales in the world.
try it out!
Want to see more?Request a full digital sample.
Online Workbook that provides additional motivating material for self-study and allows teachers instant access to their students’ scores.
- contains the same material as the paper Workbook in an interactive format
- contains all the video content of course
- has self-check and remediation functionality to save teachers time
- allows students to monitor their own progress
- is intuitive and easy to use
- requires an Internet connection
why choose pearson?
If you thought learning was confined to the classroom, think again.
We love what we do in English Language Teaching (ELT) at Pearson, because we get to work in lots of different types of classrooms around the world.
Every day we look at ways of combining content, assessment, technology and services to help teachers and students across the world teach, learn and practice their English skills, making us, Pearson, the world's leading education company. About us
We believe in all kinds of learning, delivered at any time, in any place through materials of the highest quality, enabling you to achieve your English learning and teaching goals.